Sunday, September 2, 2012

What I Ate: 05-10-12

My Mother had a recipe called Impossible Pie that we kids just adored when we were younger. Though now the ingredients I prefer have changed, it's one of those deliciously customize-able recipes that can really turn into anything you want.  Like an omelette you can flavor your pie however you chose. It's called impossible pie because it doesn't require you to make a crust. Otherwise, it's basically a quiche.

The night before this, on the 9th I had a lot of ingredients that needed to be used so I ended up making four of these pies in two flavors. One of them is more of an Italian theme in which I threw in the last bit of some pasta sauce and some broccoli and mozzarella with some parmesan sprinkled on top.
The other two pies were green bean and mushroom flavor with some mozzarella in there as well I believe.

Sorry I don't have exact recipes. It's been a while. Basically you put all the ingredients you want into the pan and then pour an egg mixture over it and then put it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

In my Mom's recipe the egg mixture (per 9"pan) is:
* 2 cups milk
* 2 Eggs
* 1/2 baking mix.

I don't buy cows milk anymore so I usually substitute organic rice milk which works just as well in any recipe I've tried.

I think I did use some baking mix in these, though I don't intend to buy more now that it's used up. It was one of those. "Let's just use it up so we aren't being wasteful" moments.

Since then I've found this carb free pizza recipe that turns out somewhat similar in consistency, so I'm pretty sure you could just skip the baking mix if you want it gluten free and use cream cheese instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment