Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Alternative Ways to Deal with Sinus Infections

Sinus infections run in my family, and as such I've had a few in my time. I think it's probably the worst ailment I've experienced. Yes, possibly even worse than throwing up.

However, for those of you who know me, you might know how I feel about taking drugs. I personally hate taking drugs, both because of side effects and also I hate the idea that I'm dependent on pills to make me feel normal. Life shouldn't have to be like that.

Anyway, I got a pretty bad sinus infection this past winter and wondered if I should go to a doctor or not, because money was tight and I knew all they'd do was prescribe antibiotics anyway, which I'm not excited about for many reasons. Plus, it just seemed dumb to have to pay a doctor's fee to be told something I already knew,(Yes, you DO have a sinus infection!) and be prescribed a remedy I already knew existed, and then have to turn around and go pay for the stinking remedy!

Anyway, I finally got so desperate that I did some online research (yeah, yeah, I know, how reliable is that always going to be?) And I found this site
Now keep in mind, they are based in Britain and I'm not too fond of how they set up their site, since you have to go through all this redundant stuff before you can even find out what it is they're trying to sell to you, but this guy did make an amazing discovery and so I bought the essential oils that they sell.

The one problem with this method is it's almost impossible to find a facial steamer, which is what this product calls for in order to use it as directed. If you want to pay $60 or more to get one, I think you can find them online, but stores won't carry them due to the wishes of the cosmetic companies.

Anyway, the point is, I didn't even know I needed one until after the oils arrived at my house because it is only then, that they send you the link to their instructional videos. Anyway, I found a way to make it work. My humidifier has what is called a medicine cup. I put the recommended dosage of oils in there and then breathed in the fumes that way, and it really did help and eventually the sinus infection went away, despite the fact that I wasn't as diligent as I could have been. Anyway, I figure it would have worked even better if I'd had the facial steamer, since the oils would have been in direct contact with the hot water. At any rate, it was worth it, and the price of the oils plus shipping was still less than a doctors appointment alone, never mind a perscription's price.

Perhaps in the future when I have money to kill, I'll invest in a facial steamer to save for the next sinus infection.
One cool thing about the oils though, is that they weren't some funky thing you'd never heard of, just pure, high quality cinnamon, clove and thyme extracts. Sweet huh? Though they do try to make them seem exotic here, that is ultimately what they are.

Another great method I've heard of was discovered to me by my cousin, you can read about her netti pot here.
It seems like a great idea, and a bit less complicated than my essential oils method.

Also, as one last remedy that may be of some use to you, I give you Sinus Buster. A natural, cayenne pepper based nasal spray. Fun sounding huh? But it seems like it might work, not unlike the same way the essential oils would work.
Although, I'm not sure if cayenne is a natural antibacterial, like the cinnamon, cloves and thyme, which are supposedly the three strongest natural antibacterial substances in the world.

Anyway, there are a few things you can try if you're finding yourself thinking death would be better than the smell, the pain and the lack of sleep that may be resulting from your sinus infection.

Have a great day!

~Julie :}

1 comment: