Friday, June 5, 2009

Wishing for Something New to Leaf Through

Though I've not had the means lately to do a lot of extra stuff with my garden (like by new annuals because there are gaps between my perennials this year.) I've still been doing the best I can to make the most of what I already have and plan for the future. I will either have money again someday while living here, or I will move to a new place someday where I will need to start afresh.

At any rate the subject is never far from my thoughts; and whenever I here or read anything new on the subject, I find myself rather attentive.

The other day I was visiting at my in-laws and my sister-in-law, Ruth, was talking about Square Foot Gardening, and how well it was working for her. She was highly recommending the book to my brother-in-law.

I remembered that I had heard or read something on the subject recently, and that has made me think I should put this book on my wish list, hopefully for someone who loves me to purchase at Christmastime.

Her conversation also reminded me that I had been reading a blog of a lady who gardens a few months ago, and she had highly recommended the book Lasagna Gardening, which appeals to me greatly and is already on my wish list.

This second method seems very appealing for a number of reasons, but the number one reason for me is that it makes composting easy.

I've heard a lot about composting lately and wonder if it will ever be practical for me to try it. The lasagna way shows you that you can layer your compost ingredients in a way that will help them to break down naturally underneath your planted garden. I really like that idea.
Both these book are available on Amazon for under $15.00 and they're both eligible for free shipping, so if you bought them together the shipping would be free. I'm not sure how much the Lasagna one is elsewhere, but the square foot one on it's official site is $20 and I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay shipping.
Anyway, just had to share. If any of my readers pick up either of these books, I'd love to hear your opinions on them.

Thanks!

~Julie :}

2 comments:

  1. You could just borrow the book "worms eat my garbage" and then make your own compost maker. All you need is a largish plastic bin it a tight lid and drill small holes all over it and fill it to the top with newspaper and then add red mill worms. Then as you have produce waste or egg shells you just place them inside and the worms will eat your garbage and create compost for you to use. This way you could just leave it on your porch in a dry spot and it doesn't attract rats or mice because of the smell. As soon as I have a porch I really want to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I might have to get those books. I have never garden before and when we get a house I want one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete