Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Homemade Christmas Gifts: Care Bear Ornaments

So for my side of the family this year we drew names as usual but decided to have the option of either a $5 price limit or that the gifts had to be homemade. My husband and I went in as a couple and we drew my brother Eric and his wife Ginny. Not the easiest task in the world thinking of a gift for these two. On the one hand they are very vocal about what they like so it's not like one wonders if they have any likes or interests like with some people in my family, . . . But at the same time they are very particular about the things they like. Things have to be a certain way, so this makes them not necessarily very easy to please.

One thing that my sister-in-law really does like though are Care Bears and My Little Ponies. She actually does pony customs for people and is very talented at painting and re-hairing old ponies to look like new or to have fun and original themes.

You can see some of her ponies here. Some of my personal favorites are the Chinese Zodiac ones, like this dragon. and also her famous Ebay pony.

Anyway, so one idea I had was to go to a second hand store and find her some ponies which she would basically use as supplies for customs. But I wasn't sure if she'd really like that, or if she's even really doing those anymore.

Then I somehow formed an idea based around the fact that I still had tons of little plastic Care Bears left over from my daughters two year birthday party this year. I ended up buying a bag of 100 of them when I was planning party favors because it was cheaper per care bear to buy them in bulk.

Anyway, so then I began to think about what I could do with these Care Bears to constitute a homemade gift. Someone else had suggested making ornaments earlier so I guess that were I first got the idea, and when I first thought about making the Care Bears into ornaments there seemed to be only one way of doing it. I figured I'd buy some of those clear glass or plastic balls and put the Care Bears inside with some glittery or fluffy stuff. But the glass ones didn't come with big enough openings and even plastic ones would have cost much more than $5, especially since I wanted to use one of each color of care bear so I needed to make at least 8 ornaments and the plastic ornaments I looked at all cost at least a dollar a pop.

So yeah, I was leaving a store all discouraged and rambling on to Jake about how I didn't know what to do about the Care Bear ornaments when it suddenly hit me. I could make little swings for them that look like clouds with a rainbow as the rope part and that would also be what hangs on the tree. Genius! Genius! Genius!!! I seriously have no idea how I came up with it, so it must have been inspired. :}

Anyway, I figured right off that I'd use some clay I had left over from another project but then it turned out that making the clay look like clouds and also have a flat top for the care bear to sit on and have holes in the sides for the ribbon to go through . . . yeah it was bit harder than I had imagined.

So I went to the craft store thinking I might need some kind of mold to make it work, but while I was there, wandering through every aisle, inspiration finally hit again and I realized that putting beads in the clay would add the desired lumps as well as providing built in holes. Genius! Genius! Genius!!!

Okay so I know it sounds conceited to keep saying that, but I'm seriously amazed that I even came up with all this, and yet it just makes so much sense.

Anyways, enough with the boring details here are some pictures.
I couldn't find any rainbow ribbon that was thin enough that I liked so I ended up buying some white organza ribbon and hand coloring it with crayola fabric markers and then setting the color with the iron. I think they turned out pretty well because rainbows are made of light so they are technically transparent anyway, right?
I like how they turned out all shimmery and stuff.
Here are my clouds just after I painted and glittered them.
So yeah, apparently my sister-in-law really liked the ornaments. (According to my parents who delivered them for me.)
They were great fun to make and if I have the energy I may be making some more one of these days, especially if someone specially requests it. I'm thinking of posting them on Etsy to see if anyone will commission me to make some for their tree next year.

6 comments:

  1. Way cute! I love how you made the rainbow ribbon. Pure genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! What a great idea! It I ever end up doing a kid-tree I'll have to have you make me some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cute idea! I did a care bear tree for Festival of Trees a couple of years ago and I wish I'd thought of something like this.

    I have a big spool of 1/2-inch rainbow ribbon - it isn't fabric ribbon, it's a sturdy paper ribbon. If you think of any uses for it let me know. I was going to wrap it around my tree for Festival like a garland but then someone talked me out of it saying people might think it was a gay pride thing. I wish I'd done it anyways, rainbows go with care bears and I think it would have been fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful, Are you also selling them?, I need them (Care Bears) or can you tell me where you got them from that will be helpful, you put you had bought tons of Care Bears for your daughter's Bday because it was cheaper like that. So maybe if you have any more left, can you let me know please:) at Keysamateo@yahoo.com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a bag of 100 on Ebay years ago. (Like 5 years ago) They cost $40.42 (Wow, I can tell this was for my first kid!)
      They have some on there now according to this listing.

      http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=care+bear+figurines&rt=nc

      The highest amount it looks like you can buy at a time now though is 32. for $18.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARE-BEARS-FIGURE-MINIATURE-SET-OF-32-CAKE-TOPPER-Care-Bear-Figurines-collection-/221110949310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337b3d55be

      Or

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARE-BEAR-BEARS-FIGURE-FIGURINE-32PCS-NEW-PARTY-FAVOR-/320677395838?pt=Birthday_Favors&hash=item4aa9dcbd7e

      Hope that helps

      I tried to find who sold mine to me by checking my old e-mail receipt. Their seller ID number was 7663192, but it looks like they no longer have an account or something.

      Anyway, good luck and have fun!

      Delete
  5. ok, Thank you so much, ill check it out and see:).

    ReplyDelete