Sunday, September 2, 2012

Julie Surprise: Cornbread Scones or Scorns. :}

Man, I've noticed all these recipes lately are leading me to talk a lot about my Mom. I guess that's not too surprising when one considers that she's the one who taught me how to cook.
Ant any rate, this recipe is another variation on one of hers.

Scotch Scones (A.k.a Scotch Pancakes, Drop Scones) were another treat at our house when I was growing up. Much like a biscuit, but cooked on a griddle. We usually put raisins in ours which make them seem a bit more like a pancake, though not quite.

We would eat them with butter and jam as a side to any meal. Sometimes we'd toast them for breakfast the next morning, (if there were any left).

I've been trying to use up the last of my less healthful foods (those I didn't just toss outright) and have had some cornmeal in my cupboard for a long time. I've continuously told myself I ought to make some cornbread, but then I always recall that I have no flour. Cornbread would be pretty dense without it. In fact, I used to make it with baking mix because a sweet Southern Lady told me that was the secret behind perfect cornbread consistency. As true as that may be, I'm not planning to eat baking mix anymore if I can help it.

Anyway, it suddenly occurred to me the other day (August 30) that maybe I could make scotch scones with cornmeal and then it would be like a sped-up version corn bread baked in individual servings . These normally call for flour as well but I decided it would be worth the experiment.

Here is my Mom's Recipe:

Scotch Scones:
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons soda
2 eggs beaten
1 cup butter (or Yogurt or Sourcream)
5 Tablespoons melted butter
1 cup raisins.

Mix dry ingredients together, the add all the liquids and beat until smooth. Add raisins is desired and mix. Drop tablespoonfuls onto hot griddle or electric frying pan. Cook five minutes and turn and cook until golden brown. (If you put the lid on the electric frying pan during cooking it goes a bit faster.)

Here's my variation

Julie Surprise Scorns (Corn + Scones = Scorns :} )
2 1/2 cups corn meal
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon raw honey (at least. Add more if you like it sweeter)
2 Organic eggs beaten
1 cup prepared oatmeal*
5 Tablespoons melted organic butter
Some organic rice milk (too help with the dryness)

*I figured it might help hold things together as was sort of creamy like yogurt. If I'd had any greek yogurt on hand I would have used that though.

That last ingredient I added later and didn't measure. I just added splashes of it here and there until the batter was the consistency I wanted. The thinner it is the further it will go and the nicer the scone will look. Though thinner scone are hard to slice in half if you want to put butter and jam inside.

They turned out okay and my girls loved them. I thought they were a bit gritty. I guess that's why cornbread normally cooks for an hour is to allow the corn meal to soften. I also thought it could have been sweeter. I tend to like my cornbread on the sweet side. Scones aren't very sweet though, so I guess I should have guessed.
My instructions are as follows. This is not how I did it. This is how I will do it next time I make these.

Combine cornmeal and oatmeal in a microwave safe bowl. Add enough water to cover the meal with about an inch. Cook for 2-3 minutes on high in microwave. (or until thick and creamy) Let cool while you beat the eggs and melt the butter. (You'll want both the cooked meal (mush) and melted butter to cool enough that they will not start cooking your eggs when you add them in.)
Use the melted butter to coat your measuring spoon for the honey so it can slide out easily into the eggs. Blend honey and eggs then add butter and mush. Add the salt and raisins if desired. Consider consistency and add rice milk to adjust if too thick or dry.
Cook on a hot griddle for 3-5 minutes on each side. (Placing finished scorns into a bowl or basket lined and covered with a cloth napkin to keep them warm while you cook.



Enjoy as you would other cornbread.
I love mine with butter and either raw honey or organic molasses.


No comments:

Post a Comment