Sunday, February 5, 2012

Homemade Baby Wipes

I got this idea from Parenting Magazine a few years ago, I think it was featured in their section "It Worked for Me" but I've since thrown away all my old magazines so I don't remember who deserves credit for this idea.  All I know is I've been telling myself I should just do it, and finally, this past week, I did it.

Homemade Baby Wipes. . .
These are pretty self explanatory, but I'll explain just the same:

1-2. Cut up soft old worn out tees or other clothing made from soft jersey into wipe sized rectangles. You can even end up with fun colors!
I used Yellow: a scrap of an old adult tee, Pink: the back of a cute toddler tee (I'm planning to use the cute front part for a memory quilt or pillow) and Blue: my 4 year old's worn out pj pants that had major holes in the crouch.
3. Put these new washable wipes into the container of your choice, I'm using an old wipes bag with a plastic snap top.
4. Use a spray bottle to moisten each wipe as you need it. (Also a small bucket to put soiled wipes into for washing later.)  The lady in the magazine said she just used water but I am using a 1:1 water/hydrogen peroxide solution, just to be sure it's cleaning well and can kill germs.  I keep my spray bottle on a high shelf in my bathroom so it's out of the kids' reach. The bonus to that is, the bathroom is the warmest room in the house so whenever I've used them the wipes have been nice and warm, just slightly above room temperature which I'm sure is nice for my baby.

Granted, I've only tried these for about a week now, but I'm pretty happy with them so far.  I'll probably still use disposable wipes when we go out places, just to make it easier, or at least until I run out of the store bought ones.  I guess I can always put a designated ziplock bag into the diaper bag for soiled washable wipes.  Anyway, there it is!  One less thing to spend money on just to poopify and toss.
Now, we'll see if I can realize my next project, washable night trainers for my 4 year old.  And maybe if I can figure that one out I'll even switch to cloth diapers for my next baby. Who knows? Anything is possible.

Happy . . . wiping?

~Julie :}

2 comments:

  1. I never thought of doing that with cloth. I have made homemade wipes with paper towels. I had no other choice because Ayla became allergic to the sensitive wipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, well hopefully this post was inspirimg then...
      I just can't believe that I never thought of this on my own! It's going to save us money and the amount of laundry it adds is so minimal it's not even worth mentioning! I'm so glad someone was smart enough to realize this idea because now it seems like a no brainer.

      Delete