Sunday, February 27, 2011

The BluApple

I don't know how many of my readers subscribe to Daily Grommet.  I just had to share a new product they featured. I think it's something that would be for everyone and as I've made a New Years resolution this year to eat more fresh produce, I'm hoping that this will help me accomplish that goal without wasting as much food.
BluApple is a little something that you can store with your fresh produce whether it's in your crisper drawer or the fruit bowl on the counter. What it does it absorb ethylene gas, which is given off naturally by fruits and vegetables. If ethylene gas builds up in your food storage area, it speeds the ripening process and accelerates ripening.  Apparently this is not a new technology and has been used for years to prevent spoilage in industrial environments like ocean liners, trucks and warehouses.  I really think I'll have to invest in some of these.  Especially since I have started getting my produce through Bountiful Baskets. More on that later. :}