Sunday, February 27, 2011

The BluApple

I don't know how many of my readers subscribe to Daily Grommet.  I just had to share a new product they featured. I think it's something that would be for everyone and as I've made a New Years resolution this year to eat more fresh produce, I'm hoping that this will help me accomplish that goal without wasting as much food.
BluApple is a little something that you can store with your fresh produce whether it's in your crisper drawer or the fruit bowl on the counter. What it does it absorb ethylene gas, which is given off naturally by fruits and vegetables. If ethylene gas builds up in your food storage area, it speeds the ripening process and accelerates ripening.  Apparently this is not a new technology and has been used for years to prevent spoilage in industrial environments like ocean liners, trucks and warehouses.  I really think I'll have to invest in some of these.  Especially since I have started getting my produce through Bountiful Baskets. More on that later. :}


3 comments:

  1. I might have to look into this little apple. Our fruit always goes bad so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have experience with thebluapple and I use it in the two produce drawers of my fridge, replacing it every 90 days. I have noticed some things that may be of use:

    1. You don't need to buy the actual plastic blue apple to place the packets in a bowl or refrigerator. Just the replacement packets. Yet the packets are not the most effective when crowded by veggies, lying flat, or smothered by a plastic bag. So if you can place them so the ethylene gas can flow around them completely you can save yourself having to buy both the plastic apples and the replacement kit.

    2. I have proven to my satisfaction that extended exposure to this oxidizer can taint the taste of large Fuji apples. But we are talking months here. I never would have had the chance to bite into this apple had it not been preserved by the packets in the first place. I do not know if this goes for other produce. I guess I deserve what I get if I am waiting two months to eat an apple. But it was a very strange taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from the Bluapple,

    There are three elements to long produce life: a) temperature – keep produce at about 40 degrees; b) humidity – we recommend using micro-pore plastic bags that breathe, or alternatively you can poke some holes in regular bags to prevent condensation and a too-wet environment, and; c) ethylene gas control – ethylene gas can be removed for three months using the Bluapple for your home refrigerator!

    As far as taste problems I can only say that this is the first time I have heard about a taste problem. I know that this same exact technology is being used by shippers in ships, warehouses and trucks -- sometime for many months -- prior to the produce hitting your store shelf. The product does not release any gas (other than CO2) or emit any chemical, but only acts as a passive ethylene gas flypaper. The taste issue Jed reports above is perplexing, but I can only say that it is the first time I have heard of it.

    Check in to our site and let us know how things go!

    Thanks,

    Timmy

    The best selling home solution — http://www.bluapple.com.

    ReplyDelete